How to Become a Montessori Teacher
USC Rossier Master of Arts in Teaching Online — No GRE
The prepares aspiring teachers for diverse and high-needs educational settings and can be completed in 12 months.
- GRE scores not required
- Prepare for teaching credential
Grand Canyon University
, including Early Childhood Education and Special Ed, Elementary, and Secondary concentrations in the sciences and humanities. Both initial licensure and non-licensure tracks are available.
University of Dayton School of Education
The prepares students to become effective leaders in grades pre-k to 12. No GRE scores are required to apply.
prepares aspiring teachers of children from birth through sixth grade for initial teaching certification or dual certification in general and special education. Complete in as few as two years.
Respect all the reasonable forms of activity in which a child engages, and try to understand them. Maria Montessori
Montessori is a teaching style developed by Dr. Maria Montessori, an Italian physician and teacher. A Montessori teacher will function more as a role model, record keeper, demonstrator, and observer of a child's behavior and growth. Montessori Teachers allow their students to learn by doing.
Qualities of Montessori Teacher
A good candidate for a Montessori Teacher would be one that is an active and curious learner. They must respect a child's unique learning needs, and have an interest and respect for her/his students.
Other Students Requested Program Information From:
What are the Requirements for Becoming a Montessori Teacher?
Completing a college education is a good idea for prospective Montessori teachers. Not all Montessori related jobs require a college education. However, a college degree will increase the opportunities for a Montessori Education job. Montessori teachers are typically not required to major in education. The studies one completed can vary widely.
Prospective Montessori teachers should complete training at an accredited training center.
The global Montessori Association, Association Montessori Internationale (AMI), has a full list of certified training centers available . The Montessori Foundation also has an inclusive .
Montessori Certification 辽宁11选5开奖结果Areas
Once you have chosen a certified training center and are enrolled, you will want to choose an area of certification. Montessori education is a flexible teaching method that focuses on educational age ranges. There are a few different areas of certification. These include:
- Infant & Toddler (0 - 3 years)
- Early Childhood (2.5 - 6 years)
- Elementary I (6 - 9 years)
- Elementary II (9 - 12 years)
- Elementary I & II (6 - 12 years)
Montessori Training Classes
Once you have chosen an area to specialize in you can begin classes the next available training session. Some courses run year round, and some take place over the summer. You will want to choose a training schedule that will accommodate your goals and needs.
Coursework for a Montessori Teacher will range from classroom lectures, written coursework and hands on training. This mixture is designed so graduates feel comfortable working in a Montessori classroom, are experienced with the model of education, and who will understand the principles of a Montessori education well enough that they are able to adapt to any given situation.
Those attending a Montessori training facility will spend around 1,200 hours in instruction. This time will be spent creating Montessori teaching materials, observing classrooms and supervised teaching, and completing an onsite teaching practicum.
Who Will My Students Be?
Montessori teachers will typically have mixed age classrooms. This approach is important to the Montessori education because older students will be encouraged to teach the younger ones. The age range of children you have will depend on which area you chose as your area of certification.
What Does A Montessori Teacher Do?
Montessori classrooms are typically student led with the teacher being more of facilitator throughout the day. Students in a Montessori classroom have freedom in how and which assignments they complete. A Montessori teacher will be responsible for preparing an active and developmentally appropriate learning space. In addition, the teacher will be required to allow students to explore, discover, and experience the joy of learning.
A Montessori classroom is designed to be accessible to children as they move around freely. A typical day in a Montessori classroom may include periods of quiet organized time but will mostly be made up of children going from activity to activity, as they please. The teacher will guide the students throughout the day ensuring they are experiencing the joys of learning.
Montessori Teaching Jobs & Job Description
Montessori teachers are trained in a less-traditional method of education techniques that are supported by an in-depth understanding of the developing child. Focused on younger grades, Montessori teachers consider it their mandate to act more like a child's ‘guides to the world' than teachers. While roles do vary from 辽宁11选5开奖结果 to 辽宁11选5开奖结果, Montessori job description looks somewhat like this:
- Demonstrate knowledge of Montessori philosophy
- Share knowledge of child development concepts with all stakeholders
- Adhere to overarching policies of confidentiality and respect
- Gain insight into the child in order to help them reach their full potential
- Understand and promote the 辽宁11选5开奖结果s mission and values at all times
- Enthusiastically support 辽宁11选5开奖结果 policies and regulations
- Provide equitable publicity's and practices in the classroom
- Create instruction that supports the whole child's developmental arc
- Use 辽宁11选5开奖结果 curriculum, current research and Montessori Albums in order to develop units of instruction
- Maintain an ongoing conversation with additional staff members and parents regarding how to best coordinate curriculum
- Participate in meetings, training and planning in order to meet the needs of each child
- Use a variety of assessment tools on an ongoing basis in order to fairly evaluate and make further decisions about a child's unfolding development
- Prepare a classroom and outdoor environment that meets the development of the children in the room
- Model kindness between individuals at all times
- Be responsible for the safety of the children in their care
- Ensure that the physical environment is safe from all health and safety concerns
- Communicate with students and families in a way that develops a calm and positive image of the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and teacher
- Communicate with the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 community about the classroom curriculum
- Complete required progress reports in alignment with 辽宁11选5开奖结果 timelines
- Participate in 辽宁11选5开奖结果 functions, field trips and extracurricular
- Participate in ongoing self-assessment and professional development
- Hosts new student interviews and student applicant visits
- Participate in training and supervision of assistants
- Participate in assistant evaluations as applicable
- Compile and track all records, inventories and tests for the classroom and its needs
- Attend board meetings as required
- Facilitate parent training sessions periodically throughout the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 year
- Encourage students to exhibit joy in the learning process
- Encourage students to engage completely in work for the duration of a work cycle
- Model appropriate independence in the classroom setting
Montessori teachers have several career options open to them - read on to discover more information about this field.
Where Can Certified Montessori Teachers Teach?
Often referred to as 'guides,' Montessori teachers are a part of an alternative education program that is offered in over 4,000 private 辽宁11选5开奖结果s and incorporated into over 200 public 辽宁11选5开奖结果s in the U.S. Many Montessori teachers get their first job from connections they make during their on-site training and practicum.
To find Montessori 辽宁11选5开奖结果s in your area you can check the American Montessori Society's .
Montessori anizations & Associations
What is the Salary of a Montessori Teacher?
There are many 辽宁11选5开奖结果s across the nation that the Montessori philosophy. Many Montessori teachers work in private settings and thus earn between $38,611 (Glassdoor.com) - $50,050 (BLS.gov) a year on average. Because of the propensity for these teachers to work in the private 辽宁11选5开奖结果 setting, experience and education may not translate to higher salaries. Teachers may be able to negotiate their salaries from year to year.
According to the North American Montessori Teachers' Association (NAMTA), A Montessori Teacher's salary can vary depending on experience and age level they teach. The average entry-level salary for a Montessori teacher of ages 6-9 in 2010 was $34,140.