How to Become a Principal
USC Rossier Master of Arts in Teaching Online — No GRE
The prepares aspiring teachers for diverse and high-needs educational settings and can be completed in 12 months.
- GRE scores not required
- Prepare for teaching credential
University of Dayton School of Education
The serves as a path to obtaining principal licensure. The program can be completed in a little over two years with the completion of two internships. No GRE Required.
prepares aspiring teachers of children from birth through sixth grade for initial teaching certification or dual certification in general and special education. Complete in as few as two years.
The greatest leader is not necessarily the one who does the greatest things. He is the one that gets the people to do the greatest things. Ronald Reagan
The principal of a 辽宁11选5开奖结果 is like the center of a wheel. The principal keeps everything in line and in good working order. The principal is in charge of keeping the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 working so that teachers, students, and support staff can function and complete their respective jobs. A principal needs to be a strong leader to staff, a fair hiring agent for new teachers and aides, an advocate to students, and a disciplinarian when necessary. A principal also serves as an intermediate between the county board of education and the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 system in which they are employed.
Qualities of a School Principal
The type of person who would serve as a strong principal is one that can multitask daily. This person should be diplomatic in all decisions, but willing to stand up for what they believe is right. A principal should be able to interact professionally with students, parents, and teaching staff. A principal must be motivated and able to motivate. Most of all, a principal should be a leader, not simply a boss.
On the Job Duties
A principal is responsible for the hiring of teachers within his or her 辽宁11选5开奖结果. If teaching elementary 辽宁11选5开奖结果, this involves grade level teachers and aides. Middle and high 辽宁11选5开奖结果 teachers are typically larger in number, and subject specific instead of grade specific. The principal is also responsible for observing these teachers in the use of teaching materials to meet curriculum demands. A principal will need to meet with parents to discuss specific concerns with students, interact with the student body, and handle any emergency issues that arise in the 辽宁11选5开奖结果. The principal must also establish personal development activities for teachers, while setting 辽宁11选5开奖结果 standards and a way in which to meet those standards. These are the overall duties of a principal, but daily duties are also present.
Each day a principal is responsible for keeping a 辽宁11选5开奖结果 safe and running smoothly. A principal may be needed to perform duties that are also performed by teachers, such as lunch duty, recess monitoring, hall duty, or on occasion, covering a class while a teacher is in a meeting. A principal also has the daily duty of dealing with any discipline issues in the 辽宁11选5开奖结果, while making overall decisions that could affect the entire 辽宁11选5开奖结果.
Though being a principal can be a difficult experience, it can also be rewarding. Principal jobs can lead to positions in the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 board or in specially appointed positions in other 辽宁11选5开奖结果 districts. Principal jobs are expected to show a six percent growth overall through the year 2022. This may vary slightly by area, but is promising within the job market.
Other Students Requested Program Information From:
What are the Requirements for Becoming a Principal?
To become a principal, one must begin on a path very similar to that of becoming a teacher.
Education Requirements for School Principals
Typically, a 辽宁11选5开奖结果 principal will be required to have one to five years of experience teaching in a specific subject area or general grade level. This means that a principal must have valid teaching certification along with at least Bachelor's Degree.
Master's Degree and Administrative Credential
The great majority of principals will also need a Master's Degree in education, educational leadership, or in educational administration. Along with the higher level degree, principals will also need to earn administrative credentials through their state. Each state can create their own requirements beyond the basics of a degree, so check with the local district before making definitive plans.
If you do choose to become a principal, you will first go through classes just as a teacher. Classes will focus on development of children, classroom management, and teaching techniques for your area of study. You will be required to complete observation hours, student teaching, state level testing, and a portfolio. After gaining experience as an educator, you may then be required to complete an administration degree or leadership degree at the master's level. This degree will require classes in leadership, 辽宁11选5开奖结果 administrative duties, best practices for a 辽宁11选5开奖结果, and in many cases, interviewing skills and techniques. An administrative degree usually requires the equivalent of student teaching performed with a current 辽宁11选5开奖结果 administrator.
Many Principals get a degree in Education Administration.
Other Students Requested Program Information From:
Tests to Pass for Becoming a School Principal
The administration level tests are much like teacher proficiency exams, however they focus specifically on administrative elements (budgeting, applicable laws, leadership skills, etc.). A test is available at all levels, elementary, middle, and high 辽宁11选5开奖结果. Scores for such tests are set by the state or district and can vary from area to area. Some districts will allow a principal to be hired with a Master's Degree in any form of leadership, but the basic teaching degree and certification are required.
Find Information About Becoming a Teacher In Your State
Each state has different requirements for becoming a certified teacher. To find out specific requirements, click on your state.
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- Washington, DC
- West Virginia
What Does a Principal Do?
Becoming a principal is a highly important job that can affect the lives of many throughout the length of the career.
A 辽宁11选5开奖结果 principal has to be organized to create master schedules, keep records organized, and manage all the people and problems that can occur. A principal is able to handle all concerns for teachers, parents, staff, and students in a professional manner. A principal must be organized and tireless as they are expected to arrive early and leave late each day, attend nearly every extracurricular activity, and monitor teachers each day.
A principal must wear many hats. He or she must be a moderator, disciplinarian, boss, leader, organizer, cheerleader, and teacher. If it occurs in a 辽宁11选5开奖结果, a principal must be willing to do the job or, in the least, be involved. A principal has the opportunity to make huge changes for a 辽宁11选5开奖结果 overall and for individuals within that 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and community.
A principal is a 辽宁11选5开奖结果 employee, just as a teacher, however the hours and work dates are much different. A principal does and should plan to work much of the summer and long hours during the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 year. The job is difficult, but the rewards are priceless.
A principal can expect to work in a 辽宁11选5开奖结果 setting, typically in an office that is central to the 辽宁11选5开奖结果. The 辽宁11选5开奖结果 can be elementary, middle, or high 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and can be a public, private, charter, or alternative 辽宁11选5开奖结果. School principals should be present within their 辽宁11选5开奖结果s so others have a leader to look up to and appreciate.
Principal Jobs & Job Description
Principals across the United States are chosen because of their leadership ability. They are proactive, multidimensional collaborative leaders in education. A principal's management, communication and direction creates and sustains 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and system cultures that improve student learning and personal development. Jobs do vary, but below are listed the most common traits of principalship in both elementary and secondary 辽宁11选5开奖结果s.
Elementary School Principal
Similar to their high 辽宁11选5开奖结果 counterpart, elementary 辽宁11选5开奖结果 principals have a multifaceted role in caring for and guiding the 辽宁11选5开奖结果. Elementary principals:
- Are in charge of managing public and private 辽宁11选5开奖结果s for children from pre辽宁11选5开奖结果 to grade 8
- Work with district administrators, superintendents, faculty and staff
- Ensure smooth running of 辽宁11选5开奖结果s
- Set teacher, 辽宁11选5开奖结果wide and student performance goals
- Hire and evaluate teaching and support staff
- Visit classrooms
- Prepare budgets and timelines
- Care for building, facilities, materials, and supplies
- Understand the role and perspective of a classroom teacher from experience
- Present 辽宁11选5开奖结果, students, and events to the wider community
- Advocate on behalf of 辽宁11选5开奖结果, students and events to community and parents
- Seek funding where appropriate
- Seek professional development on a planned and ad hoc basis
- Facilitate communication between internal stakeholders
- Become skilled in conflict management in educational settings
- Understand and apply the principals of educational leadership and 辽宁11选5开奖结果 law
- Supervise and work effectively with licensed staff members, custodial, cooks, clerical, support and additional professional staff
- Observe and mentor teaching staff
- Steer 辽宁11选5开奖结果 goals to match the district's mandate
- Maintain a standard of student behavior that underlies classroom policy and management
- Maintain relations with community stakeholders and professionals
- Orient new personnel and visitors to the 辽宁11选5开奖结果
- Resolve student behavioral problems on 辽宁11选5开奖结果 grounds, enroute to 辽宁11选5开奖结果, and within the community
- Make best use of all available 辽宁11选5开奖结果 facilities for best learning practice and economy
- Administer the collection, retention, transfer and destruction of business and educational documents including student records
- Administer and oversee 辽宁11选5开奖结果 improvement efforts
- Facilitate and advise on the needs of special education population and student testing
- Have a working knowledge of student demographics, attendance and grades
- Coordinate Title I logistics, grant applications, and No Child Left Behind requirements
- Report to and receive direction from the superintendent regarding other duties
High School Principal
Similar to their elementary 辽宁11选5开奖结果 counterpart, secondary 辽宁11选5开奖结果 principals have a multifaceted role in caring for and guiding the 辽宁11选5开奖结果. High 辽宁11选5开奖结果 principals:
- Manage public and private 辽宁11选5开奖结果s for children from grade 9 to grade 12
- Work with district administrators, superintendents, faculty and staff
- Ensure smooth running of 辽宁11选5开奖结果s by coordinating a variety of interests, programs, timelines, facility usage, agendas, and budgetary concerns
- Promote high academic and personal expectations for all students and staff members
- Enact disciplinary measures as appropriate after evidence-based discipline breaches have been observed and due process followed
- Manage, evaluate and supervise clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 that are in line with the mission and goals of the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and district
- Manage instructional programs, extracurricular activities, discipline, building maintenance, program evaluation, personnel management, office operations, and emergency procedures systems to ensure a safe and orderly climate.
- Comply with laws, board policies and civil regulations
- Supervise the 辽宁11选5开奖结果's instructional programs, including observing teachers and classes in addition to teaching as time permits
- Encourage a variety of strategies and materials that match the philosophy of the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and are consistent with research on learning
- Ensure a safe, orderly environment in which students are responsible for their behavior and which creates high morale among all stakeholders
- Notify authorities regarding violence, vandalism, attendance and discipline issues within the 辽宁11选5开奖结果. Collaborate with community authorities to the fullest extent regarding these and other safety issues
- Establish a professional rapport with students and with staff that commands respect
- Adhere to the most stringent ethical and professional standards in order to serve a s a role model for students, 辽宁11选5开奖结果 personnel, and community stakeholders
- Demonstrating the importance and relevance of learning, accepting responsibility, and demonstrating pride for one's chosen profession
- Notify authorities, appropriate personnel and agencies when there is evidence or suspicion of substance abuse, child abuse or neglect
- Advise the district's administration of employees not meeting their contractual agreement
- Collect data regarding the needs of students and research programs to meet these needs
- Operate under a collaborative approach for 辽宁11选5开奖结果 improvement
- Oversee an effective inventory system for all 辽宁11选5开奖结果 supplies, materials and equipment
- Maintain an attractive, organized, functional, healthy, clean, and safe facility; pay special attention to those factors that directly enhance the learning experience
- Assume personal and administrative responsibility for the health, safety, and welfare of each student, employee and visitor to the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 or its grounds
- Develop clearly understood emergency procedures; provide regular drills for emergencies and disasters
- Maintain a master schedule and timeline for the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 year in order to make best use of facilities and resources
- Establish a policy and schedule to supervise students in non-classroom areas, including before 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and after 辽宁11选5开奖结果
- Become a point of friendly contact with students, teachers, parents and community officials
- Communicate in a proactive fashion with parents and members of the community, creating a cooperative relationship to support students
- Hone presentation skills to effectively address students, staff, parents, and the community
- Complete all records and reports as requested by the district
- Maintain and account for all student funds and monies collected via the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 for extracurricular activities
- Communicate with district stakeholders and administrators about the requirements, successes and general operation of the 辽宁11选5开奖结果
- Oversee the safe accrual, transfer, storage, and destruction to maintain the integrity of all public and confidential 辽宁11选5开奖结果 records
- Ensure that student records are complete and current; ensure confidentiality of all records, conversations, and information of each student at every level
- Attend all required staff and committee meetings for organizations within the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and in partnership with the community
- Perform any duties that are within the scope of employment and certifications, and as are directed by the superintendent officers
- Provide and oversee supervision of a safe recreation and play space for students on 辽宁11选5开奖结果 grounds
Elementary and high 辽宁11选5开奖结果 principals can take advantage of a number of employment avenues. Read on to learn more.
Where Can Certified Principals Work?
A licensed principal can work in any 辽宁11选5开奖结果 and at any level in which they have certification. Depending on the choice of 辽宁11选5开奖结果, the principal can expect different things.
This can include public 辽宁11选5开奖结果s, which offer a free education for all students at all levels. In public 辽宁11选5开奖结果s, the curriculum is organized the district. Public 辽宁11选5开奖结果s usually have a very diverse student population. A public 辽宁11选5开奖结果 is likely to be much more diverse in social economic areas as well as ability levels.
Private 辽宁11选5开奖结果s on the other hand, are not free to attend. There is a set tuition that needs to be paid for each student to attend. However, the curriculum is chosen by the 辽宁11选5开奖结果. Private 辽宁11选5开奖结果s tend to bring a more affluent clientele, but could require religious or group affiliations.
Charter 辽宁11选5开奖结果s are another option. Charter 辽宁11选5开奖结果s are usually free and linked to the public 辽宁11选5开奖结果 system, but have the option to accept or reject students based on the 辽宁11选5开奖结果's set of criteria. However, a charter 辽宁11选5开奖结果 may be held to much higher standards in the public eye because of the sources of funding.
What is the Salary of a Principal?
Principals in the United States earn between $84,760 (BLS.gov) to $84,528 (Payscale.com) during the beginning phase of their career. This does not include the great health, retirement, and pension benefits. The salary will increase with each year of experience. By contrast, principals in the private sector may earn considerably less. Principals with more professional or educational qualifications may be able for a higher salary. A move from one district to another may also facilitate a raise in salary.