How to Become a Superintendent
USC Rossier Master of Arts in Teaching Online — No GRE
The prepares aspiring teachers for diverse and high-needs educational settings and can be completed in 12 months.
- GRE scores not required
- Prepare for teaching credential
Grand Canyon University
, including Early Childhood Education and Special Ed, Elementary, and Secondary concentrations in the sciences and humanities. Both initial licensure and non-licensure tracks are available.
University of Dayton School of Education
The prepares students to become effective leaders in grades pre-k to 12. No GRE scores are required to apply.
prepares aspiring teachers of children from birth through sixth grade for initial teaching certification or dual certification in general and special education. Complete in as few as two years.
Education is light, lack of it darkness Russian Proverb
The superintendent of 辽宁11选5开奖结果s is the CEO, the chief executive officer, of all 辽宁11选5开奖结果s in his or her district. The superintendent is responsible for achieving the vision of those who have been voted onto the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 board. This can be accomplished through decisions about educational programs, staffing, physical facilities, and budgets.
Someone who is to become a superintendent will be highly familiar with educational policy, reform, and current trends. This person will have the ability to multitask while keeping the goals of the board and county in mind. This person should be budget conscious, but also know when repairs and upgrades are needed and necessary. A 辽宁11选5开奖结果 superintendent must be a leader, supervisor, and manager. This person needs to be able to check qualifications and find the ideal candidate for upper level positions such as principals. A 辽宁11选5开奖结果 superintendent is someone that has to make tough decisions on the daily basis.
A superintendent is typically a contract based position so the renewal of the contract is an area that is open for growth. Statistically speaking, the rate of superintendent jobs is low as there are few positions when compared to other educational jobs. However, since this is a contractual position, the person in the job may change more frequently.
How Do I Become A School Superintendent?
A superintendent's qualifications are set by each 辽宁11选5开奖结果 district, but some standards do apply. It is expected that a superintendent has at least a master's degree or higher. Many superintendents will have at least a Master's Degree in Education Administration or Leadership. The individual state will determine whether a superintendent must hold a certain certificate in a specified area such as leadership and/or administration. In addition, some states require a potential superintendent to pass exams as specified at that state level. The superintendent will also be expected to have two to five years administrative experience as a principal or other 辽宁11选5开奖结果 administrator. This means that the superintendent would have had to complete a teaching certificate, years of teaching experience, and possible leadership classes just to gain the principal job before becoming superintendent.
This all means that a program to become a superintendent will include education classes, administration classes, leadership classes, and developmental classes over the course of many years. A superintendent will also have taken many hours of professional development as a teacher and administrator. As mentioned, each state can require different qualifications so more information can be gained by researching the area in which you wish to be superintendent.
What Does A Superintendent Do?
A superintendent is typically a contractual worker who is hired for a specified length of time. This means that he or she must do the assigned work for the length of the contract. The superintendent's actual duties may include the hiring and placement of principals for the district. In addition, he or she may choose or hire certain positions within the board of education. The superintendent is also in charge of making decisions about educational programs, spending, and staffing for particular facilities.
Though the superintendent may not spend any length of time in a particular 辽宁11选5开奖结果, he or she does need to be familiar with each 辽宁11选5开奖结果 in the district to make sure the necessary qualifications for the actual building and staff are being met. The superintendent would make the decision of whether a 辽宁11选5开奖结果 needs updates or consolidations.
The superintendent usually has a central office within the board of education. However, much of his or her time will be spent in meetings or touring 辽宁11选5开奖结果s as needed.
Superintendent Jobs & Job Description
High level administration beyond that of the principal and vice-principal team is required in order to steer the district's policies and mission in a progressive manner toward excellence for today's students. Superintendents can administer unified 辽宁11选5开奖结果 districts, elementary districts, or high 辽宁11选5开奖结果 districts - the role is largely the same, though a background in teaching is preferred. Superintendents:
- Are responsible for elementary and secondary 辽宁11选5开奖结果-based activities and programs
- Ensure that programs are pursuant to district policies and regulations
- Promote student academic achievement at all levels
- Advocate for equitable academic and extracurricular programs in all facets of the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 community
- Coordinate and monitor the activities of 辽宁11选5开奖结果 principals and 辽宁11选5开奖结果 operations, including educational, curricular and financial systems
- Encourage and thoughtfully promote innovation in instructional methodology
- Support research in pedagogy
- Attend district, board, special education, community, and committee meetings to answer inquiries concerning 辽宁11选5开奖结果-based programs
- Collect and analyze data relative to the 辽宁11选5开奖结果 improvement process
- Monitor expenditures and steer budgetary measures in accordance with the District policies
- Make staffing additions, reductions or moves in accordance with district policies
- Provide recommendations to 辽宁11选5开奖结果 administrators for to program adjustments or modifications
- Provide recommendations to administrators for facility and equipment improvements
- Process and disseminate 辽宁11选5开奖结果-based information to the Board, Administration, the court
- Make presentations to the district and community
- Assist staff/student/parent/guardian/community with interpretations of policies, regulations and agreements related to elementary and secondary programs
- Coordinate the development, allocation and monitoring of the elementary and secondary education budget
- Meet with elementary and secondary administration teams on a regular basis and as needed
- Liaise between parties and departments within the District
- Recommend appropriate administrative development experiences for interested candidates
- Monitor the recruitment, selection, placement, training, promotion, transfer, compensation and termination of personnel
- Identify problem areas in 辽宁11选5开奖结果 improvement with the appropriate departments and resolve these concerns in an effective and confidential manner
- Assist and oversee the creation and implementation of audits, strategic planning and measurement in such a way as to focus on the action
- Supervise and evaluate elementary and secondary principals and vice principals
- Act in concert with documented district mission statement, beliefs, and strategic objectives
- Carry out additional duties as required and requested by various internal and external stakeholders
- Possess outstanding communication skills, i.e., written documents and correspondence, oral presentations, active listening
- Understand and empathize with the learning experience and community experience for those from a diversity of cultures, races and backgrounds
- Have strong organizational, administrative, supervisory and budget preparation skills
- Utilize a creative, innovative approach to problem solving that keeps student and community need at the forefront
- Possess a encompassing understanding of district policies, regulations, goals and objectives, as well as education legislation
There are many career pathways for educational superintendents, both inside the field of education and outside. Read on to learn more about this exciting field.
Where Can A Certified Superintendent Work?
A superintendent usually works in the public or charter 辽宁11选5开奖结果 realm. The superintendent oversees all 辽宁11选5开奖结果s in a specific district.. A superintendent for the public 辽宁11选5开奖结果 district must make sure the 辽宁11选5开奖结果s are implementing the required curriculum chosen by the board members and state, but those working with charter 辽宁11选5开奖结果s may not have this specific duty. Along the same lines, the requirements for a superintendent for the different 辽宁11选5开奖结果 types can vary greatly, along with the expected duties.
What is the Salary of a Superintendent?
The salary of a superintendent will vary greatly depending on the district in which he or she works. On average, the salary of a superintendent across the nation is around $113,000 (BLS.gov). Superintendents are almost exclusively found in public 辽宁11选5开奖结果s. Superintendents achieve their position by working through the ranks of teachers and administration before applying to superintendency in the latter part of their career. With that said, experience is a dominant factor in determining salary. Superintendents have usually invested heavily in their professional development and post-secondary educations, so while education is not directly a factor on salary, it does have some influence.